Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Little DIY for a Fresh Fridge

We do quite a lot of cooking (and eating) around here and I love trying out new recipes and ingredients.  This means that after the bi-weekly trip to the grocery store, our fridge is packed full of fresh goodies and produce.  Storing and using it all up before spoilage occurs can sometimes be a challenge.  So this idea was inspired by the ol' herbs in a glass of water trick as well as some of the commercial herb savers on the market these days...

 DIY Herb & Greens Saver





Simple Supplies
The only things needed for this easy project are an empty plastic container with lid, a sharp knife, water, and greens (I used parsley, spinach, and kale).  If you'd like to dress things up a bit, you'll also need a scrap piece of fabric (I used new cloth rags found in the hardware department) and jute (or string, ribbon, or whatever tier upper you fancy).



Cutting it Up
Using the knife, cut an X into the top of the lid.



The ends of the herbs or greens can be cut too.

Get this art print


Add Water & Assemble
Add some water to the container, put the lid on, and stick the cut ends of the greens through the X.  



Changing the water is easy peasy too.  Just pop off the lid, empty and rinse the container if necessary, and add fresh water.



Now, it'd be perfectly fine to leave it at that... but if you'd like to take it up a notch (at our house we open our fridge a million times a day... why not have a pleasing view?) please continue on...


Taking it Up a Notch
I chose these rags because I already had them on hand, but more importantly they can easily be thrown into the washer with my dishcloths and tea towels if they get dirty.  This is something you may want to think about when choosing your fabric too.  Place the container in the centre of the fabric.  



Gather up the edges of the fabric around the container. Tie the jute around the base of the greens just above the lid.



These little savers are a refreshing addition to the refrigerator interior, while keeping herbs & greens close at hand, in view, and no longer easily forgotten.



They also make lovely centrepieces that are fresh, green, and inexpensive.



And, especially during the long winter months, a little bit of green foliage not only freshens up our homes...


...it livens up our spirits too.


Thanks for stopping by.







11 comments:

  1. What a great idea, and so lovely too! It would certainly dress up my tired old fridge! I hope you wouldn't mind if I pin this on pinterest. It's such a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! What a great way to keep them fresh and keep them where you can see them. Too often, I find a soggy bag of something in the bottom of the crisper drawer that I have to toss out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to add herbs to our garden list this year. Thanks for the great DIY tips!

    I featured your herb keeper on this week's Terrific Under Ten Tuesday! http://athomewithk.blogspot.com/2012/02/terrific-under-ten-tuesday-51.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea, my kale always seems to dry out in the fridge. Thanks for the tips and it's pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I use glasses, but the greens just spill over or they get knocked over. I love how you cut the lid to hold the herbs and veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Brilliant idea - cheap, save, pretty, friendly...love it!
    http://meijosjoy.blogspot.com/2012/02/easy-peasy-puddings-pot.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found you via Momnivore's Dilemma

    Oh, I love that idea! I use some greens and then they just go unused and wilt in the fridge.

    Pinning.
    Following via, P, T, FB, etc.

    ~ Dana
    Cooking At Cafe D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a neat idea. Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrea-

    Love this. We go thru a ton of kale, cilantro, etc. here, and that would make a lovely spring centerpiece that I wouldn't mind the boys interacting with...

    Featuring you tonight at Creative Juice and sharing at Pinterest as well. Love some of the drawings on your sidebar.

    Hope you are well...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts.